Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Day 10: Turtles, Snorkeling and our Last Night



Everybody was up to an early start. We had to get ready and go snorkeling in the Pacific Ocean. The waking up part of the day was a bit hard on everybody because it was a little earlier than usual due to us having to go to a restaurant for breakfast. By the time everybody was ready, we were all excited for what we were about to do in the coming hours.

We broke into two groups. One group took a speed boat to arrive at the place at which we snorkeled, while the other traveled on a sail boat (it took about a hour longer to arrive at the destination). As we
traversed the gulf in the morning, the weather was very sunny, dry, and exhausting.

Once the sail boat reached the destination, the two groups switched activities. The people that were already on speed boat got out of the water and switched places with the people on the sail boat where they were to have lunch. The group originally on the sail boat got to start tagging and releasing the sea turtles that were caught a few minutes before hand. Afterwards, they proceeded to snorkel and view the sea life, while still keeping an eye out for sea turtles. Then they got to enjoy the delicious lunch as well. By the time everyone was done with eating, the two groups switched boats for the most part. People originally in the sail boat were now in the speed boat and vice versa, however, the sky was cloudy and waves were getting larger at that point. As a result, the way back to the coast was more exhilarating for the people on the speed boats. Now we are waiting for the upcoming barbecue for dinner.



- Amogh and Ravi





       As much as I appreciate Amogh and Ravi’s description, my experience was much less idyllic. As an outgoing passenger on the sailboat I enjoyed myself at first, before becoming thoroughly seasick. I stayed that way until the boat ride back. Tagging sea turtles (while fascinating and amazing) became far more difficult with the added challenge of staring at the horizon as often as possible. And because of the waves, snorkeling actually made me feel worse. Mom, Dad, don’t worry, I feel fine now. Actually, I can’t complain too much. The choppy seas on the motor boat ride to shore almost instantly revived me, and had a great time. As Ravi and Amogh mentioned, we are now relaxing until a barbeque dinner, and reflecting on the trip.
       Speaking of reflections, Ms. Leland actually wanted me to write some deep stuff, not just a paragraph of complaints, so here goes:
       I’ve actually learned a lot about both science and myself on this trip. On the topic of myself, I’ll just say marine biology is not my calling. As for science, I got to see what the scientific method looks like in the real world, and why it is so necessary. I got to create my own experiment based on my own curiosity (instead of following a pre-designed lab) and work through all the problems associated with that freedom. I got to see the rainforest, man! The biodiversity and uniqueness of planet Earth! Most importantly, though, I got a glimpse into what a career in science would be like for me, and I think I like it.



Sincerely,

Miah


No comments:

Post a Comment